Singapore Turf Club: Review & What You Should Know
Singapore Turf, located in Kranji, is the only licensed club for horse racing and horse race betting in Singapore.
Since there are no horse breeding grounds in Singapore, the horses are acquired from overseas. Countries like Australia, New Zealand, Japan, England, Ireland, France, South Africa, America, and Germany are common places.
The Singapore Turf Club is a great place to check out while on the island. What to expect at the Singapore Turf Club
Races happen all year round scheduled on different dates, but mainly on Friday and Sunday. The most common Horse racing games would be
The Singapore Airlines International Cup and KrisFlyer International Sprint, which usually happens in May. The winners take home up to S$3 million. The Singapore Gold Cup is also prominent, as well as the Singapore Derby and Lion City cup.
For most of the competitions, prize money varies each year but averages at about S$1million. So if you are in town during the major race months from May to November, it can be quite a fun outing.
Race lovers can place their bets with both offline and online betting depending on their proximity to the turf club. You can do so at any counter at the club or any 4 off-course Singapore turf outlets.
Alternatively, you can place your bets at any Singapore Pools branch, Self-Betting Kiosks, using Tele bet, or through calling directly via Operator Assisted Betting.
Singapore Turf offers 9 betting options to choose from. These are;
- Win: Here, you select a horse that you expect to finish first. The unit bet is valued at $5 and a minimum winning dividend of $5.30.
- Roll Win: You select a winning horse from 2-3 races. The winning dividend from one race is automatically rolled over to the next game.
- Place: You select a horse to finish first, second or third for a game that involves 7 plus racers. The minimum winning dividend for this game is $5.10, and each bet goes for $5.
- Forecast: You select two horses that will come first or second in any order. A unit forecast bet is $2 and a minimum winning dividend is $2.50.
- Tierce: You choose three horses that will finish first, second and third in that respective order. The unit bet price is $2 and a win of $3.
- Trio: Here, you select three horses to finish in the top three in any order of your choice. The bet and win price is similar to that of Tierce.
- Quartet: You select four horses to win in a given specific order. The unit bet price is $2, and the winning dividend is $3.
- Flexi-Quartet: You choose four horses to win a given order. The unit bet price is the higher value between $20 or 10% of the cost of a whole unit.
Participation in Singapore Turf Club programs
The Club allows you to race your own horses as well. However, you will be required to purchase your own and pay the horse trainer provided to you.
The trainer also helps you during the purchase and examines the horse's current condition, performance potential, etc. They will help your horse to reach its full potential.
Trainers are required to submit entries and declare themselves and horse racing gear before the closing time to participate in any race. Once declared, you will not be able to withdraw from a race unless approved by a stipendiary steward or veterinarian.
Pre-COVID, entries, and declaration times were as below. Until June 13, 2021, all the races are conducted indoors.
The Singapore Turf Club is generally exciting to be at on a race day. Even the night races come with amazing lights. Plus, they have food and drinks available while you watch. The menu is a blend of local and Western.
Although it is a relaxed atmosphere, your shorts and flip-flops will keep you from getting in.
Overall, it is an excellent place to visit if you love horse races. With the multiple betting options, you may actually win something. But most of all, have fun!