Marina Bay Sands casino closes until August 5 due to Covid-19 cluster
On Wednesday, the Marina Bay Sands casino resort management announced that it was temporarily closing to allow for deep cleaning from Thursday 22.
According to the Ministry of Health, the venue itself will remain closed until August 5. It stated that 11 detected cases were linked to a “Covid-19 cluster” at the Marina Bay Sands casino.
In a release on Wednesday, the ministry said that it had “detected 11 cases linked to a [Covid-19] cluster” at the Marina Bay Sands casino. Multiple cases involving individuals “who worked in or visited” the venue were under investigation.
They, therefore, concluded that to break the chain of transmission and facilitate deep cleaning of the place, Marina Bay Sands casino would be closed to the public between July 22 to August 5, 2021. The ministry further extended free testing to all the casino's visitors between July 7 and July 21, 2021.
Marina Bay Sands is operated by Sands China Ltd of Macau, a unit of United States-based Las Vegas Sands Corp. Management said it would give an update once they establish a reopening date.
Las Vegas Sands had earlier disclosed an increase in revenues in the second quarter. However, they stated on Wednesday that the closure of the Marina Bay Sands Casino resort and tighter restrictions would negatively impact the third quarter's performance.
Marina Bay Sands stated that the rest of the property would still be operational under stricter measures or revised capacities in a new statement. The hotel would accommodate a maximum of two people while the other attractions would operate at a reduced capacity of 25%.
The shopping mall is now limited to a capacity of one person per 16 square metre, while restaurants and the nightclub at the complex are also closed until further notice.
Meanwhile, the other casino venue, Resorts World Sentosa, operated by Genting Singapore Ltd, remains open. However, each gaming table at the casino is limited to two players.